Updated and agreed June 2017
The Mill is committed to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst our workforce, including volunteers. Our aim is that our workforce (both staff and volunteer) will be truly representative of all sections of society and each employee and volunteer feels respected and able to give of their best.
To that end the purpose of this policy is to provide equality and fairness for all in our employment and not to discriminate on grounds of gender, marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, disability, sexuality, religion or age. We oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
All employees, whether part-time, full-time or temporary, and volunteers will be treated fairly and with respect. Selection for employment, promotion, training or any other benefit will be on the basis of aptitude and ability. All employees and volunteers will be helped and encouraged to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the workforce will be fully utilised to maximise the efficiency of the organisation.
- To create an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all our staff and volunteers are recognised and valued.
- Every employee and volunteer is entitled to a working environment that promotes dignity and respect to all. No form of intimidation, bullying or harassment will be tolerated.
- Training, development and progression opportunities are available to all staff. This may be available to volunteers if funds are available.
- Equality in the workplace is good management practice and makes sound business sense.
- We will review all our employment practices and procedures to ensure fairness.
- Breaches of our equality policy will be regarded as misconduct and could lead to disciplinary proceedings.
- This policy is fully supported by The Mill Trustees and has been agreed with the Mill employees.
- The policy will be monitored and reviewed annually, and actions will be implemented via employee objectives and trustee meetings and actions.