What is The Mill?
The Mill is Walthamstow’s living room, open to anyone who wants to drop in and read the papers, view our art exhibitions, join a group or activity, use our children’s room or hire one of our rooms. We want to make life better for local people by improving the connections that residents have with each other. The Mill is a charity, led and run by volunteers, with a wide range of volunteering opportunities.
We offer you:
- A children’s room with toys and books for children and their parents or carers
- A year-round programme of groups, activities and exhibitions for all ages
- An honesty library and daily newspapers
- Tea and coffee making facilities – small donation requested
- An exhibition space for local artists, and rooms for hire
- An accessible toilet and baby changing facilities
- A community noticeboard for local events, leaflets and flyers
- A disabled parking bay outside and bicycle parking.
In line with our charitable aim of promoting community harmony, we have a no-alcohol policy and do not accept bookings from religious groups or political parties.
When you come to The Mill you can expect us to:
- Be open at least 42 hours per week, 48 weeks of the year
- Provide a welcoming, positive, accessible and inclusive space
- Act on any concerns raised over a child or vulnerable adult in line with our Safeguarding policies and procedures.
- Welcome guide dogs and assistance dogs; other dogs must be on a lead and not go beyond the brown carpet at reception
In return, we expect our users to:
- Respect our volunteers, staff and other users, the building and its contents
- Be considerate to others; share the space and respect the different needs of others
- Clean and tidy up after yourselves and do not make excessive noise
- Take responsibility for your own possessions
- Supervise children you are in care of: children under 10 should be supervised by an adult at all times.
Please speak to the Centre Manager if you have any cause for concern. A copy of our Policies and Procedures, including a complaints procedure, is available at Reception.